Bio

Emily Vieweg, MFA is a poet and playwright originally from St. Louis, Missouri. Her work has been published in Foliate Oak, The Voices Project, Northern Eclecta, Red Weather Literary Magazine, Soundings Review, Art Young's Good Morning, and more.

Her one-act play Atomic Lounge was performed in Chicago at The 25th Annual Abbie Hoffman Died for Our Sins Theatre Festival in 2013.

Emily's debut chapbook Look Where She Points is available from Plan B Press.

Emily's second chapbook, Conversations with Beethoven and Bach, is available through Amazon.com.

She lives in Fargo, North Dakota where she is a mother of two, pet parent, data processor and adjunct English instructor.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Waiting Game

Last night, around 9:30pm or so, I emailed the final draft of my MFA Thesis to my adviser for final feedback. I believe the collection of work I have produced will show the world the type of writer I am, as well as the type of thinker I am.
I feel that I have something important to say, and hopefully that came across in my introduction, and in my creative works.

I received an email from my adviser this morning, stating that she will get back to me with an acceptance or with a list of required edits by 6/26. So that means I must wait up to ten days for a decision to be made. In that time I will focus the rest of my energy on completing the assignments for my Manuscript Preparation course, and then my MFA will be complete.

I just have a little bit left to go, and then I will have my Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing. I will be able to teach at the college level and also update my business cards at work.

I am excited to announce that I have been accepted into a Graduate Certificate program for teaching English Language Learners. I feel that if I am going to teach, I would like to learn how to teach before attacking that particular position. I realize that I do not need an education degree to teach at the college level, but I feel in order to be fully present and helpful to my future students, I not only need to know what I am talking about (i.e., English Composition), I also need to know how to communicate it.

There are professors out there who are brilliant in their knowledge of a subject but are dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to communicating that information to students. I do not want to be a box of rocks, so until I feel more comfortable in my teaching skin, I will take a class here and there to get my feet wet and learn how to teach what I love to do.

Once this degree is complete I will take time off from school. At least two months I will take off, playing with my kids, reconnecting with my husband, and finding something else to do with my evenings.

Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment